Monday, August 21, 2006

Boom Car - Pounding - Headache

The Sunday Morning Call featured a front page article by Nicole Radzievich titled "Boom Cars Pounding Away at Neighbors Patience "(read it here).

It reminded me of some pre-Government Center Proposal public comments made in the spring while school remained in session. The comments were in regard to enforcement of noise complaints from the booming stereos of students parked near the school at the end of the day.

This article discussed noise ordinance's and methods police have to enforce them.

Not that a significant change could be made between now and next Monday, but it is definitely something for the Borough to consider. I'm sure most people have heard a stereo drive by their home that shook the windows. It is ridiculous to have a stereo in a car that loud, yet one person interviewed complained how can the police tell me its too loud when they make equipment that plays that loud?

What do you think? Should the borough consider a revised (or new) noise ordinance? Should the police have sound meters to verify decibel levels? Is this not worth the effort of either Council or the Police?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see it as being much of an issue any more. 5 or ten years ago I felt differently. But the trend has died down significantly in recent years and I don't notice as many cars with booming systems anymore. The thing that I notice more lately is loud motorcycles and pickup trucks with modified mufflers. There are more loud trucks and Harleys going down South Church than thumping cars.

RossRN said...

Thanks for the comment,

I can say that South New seems to have more on the car stereo side than muffler, but the noise ordinance would actually apply to any vehicle noise as I understood it from the article.

I think where it is toughest on people is when the stereos are that loud and not moving. This seems to be the issue around the school.

I do like the idea of the decibel meters though. Why not have proof positive instead of a rule of thumb measurement (I think the article noted sound a 40 feet or something along those lines). Might not hurt for the police to have one or two on hand.