Monday, April 23, 2007

New Template Features

Beyond the look, which I tried to copy as best I could (I'm not familiar with XML compared to HTML, so if anyone can help with the gap between the left column and body it'd be much appreciated), the first change is the search box on the top right.

The Right Side Column.

Readers can now use Google Search right from the home page, and better yet, you can search the School District, Morning Call and Express-Times specifically by checking the radio button. Search results should appear in a new window.

I've revised the NOC Sites and Links List. New is the NOC Maps, which will be a list of all the maps I use in posts and for information. I'd also like to bring to everyone's attention the Calendar Link, which I've begun to update for 2007. This link takes you to Upcoming.org and anyone can join the NewsOverCoffee group and add events for the group. This is a great way to share your organizations events with everyone. The Chat Room is a Google Groups Forum I set up. If anyone has a hobby or interest or wants to start a discussion forum on something, go ahead and set one up. People can then join in. Email me if you have any questions.

Previous posts are now listed in a drop down box and grouped by week. I was afraid the sidebar would be too long to list all the months (now at a dozen) since the site went live. Given the number of posts I've been making, weekly seemed to be a reasonable chunk.

Topics or labels. Since January 1 I've been labeling all posts within Blogger (previously I had to label and add them to del.icio.us a different site and you can still access posts by topic by visiting the link NOC Archives). Click on a topic to see the posts tagged with that topic name. The number of posts for each topic appears in ().

The Left Side Column.

Below the graphic and welcome is a place for Paid Business Links. In short, email me for more information or to purchase a link. Links will be $50 per month with a 3 month minimum. They will be listed alphabetically, and I reserve the right to approve or deny any link or link destination.

Local Blogs, Municipal Links, Organization & History, Schools, and School Related are all links to sites I thought would be of interest to readers. If you want a link added email me.

More News from Google. This is a hit or miss proposition as the search is on "Nazareth" and as you will see there is a Nazareth College, Nazareth Academy, and Nazareth in the Middle East that also tend to get Google's attention. None-the-less as a feed you may want to glance down the list for breaking news that is found related to the area that I have not yet posted on.

I am awaiting code for a plug-in to AccuWeather that will fit just above the Google Search. This will give you up to the minute, time, temp and forecast for Nazareth.

All-in-all I'm pretty pleased with the functionality upgrades and think this will make visits even more productive. If you have any comments on the features, links, layout, or readability feel free to post them here or sent me a note.

Thanks to everyone who has read, commented, posted, and otherwise supported NewsOverCoffee over the past year. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Bernie O'Hare said...

I like this much better than the three columned approach.

RossRN said...

For those who have reported the broken links - it appears that despite my deleting the 'http://' infront of email addresses in links lists, Blogger put them back in.

Use editor@newsovercoffee.com to reach me, not http://editor@newsovercoffee.com

Will try to get this cleaned up tonight and thanks to those who pointed it out!

Anonymous said...

Ross,


It's great! You are amazing!

Cindy