Saturday, August 11, 2007

Fundraise, When Taxes Aren't Enough.

JD Malone of the Express-Times blogs on NASD's plan to tap taxpayers to support the school in addition to any tax they may spend through fundraising (read the article here).

The idea is to get sponsorships related to the newly turfed field at Andrew S. Leh Stadium. Thankfully the stadium name is not for sale, but the field apparently is. One has to wonder if the cost of the video, now in question, but previously set at $25,000, is worth the investment (one could simply set terms and sell the rights on ebay to the highest bidder with an annual renewal fee for no cost).

Following the last school board meeting when this issue arose I sent an email to the executive director of the Nazareth Blue Eagle Foundation to find out how much revenue had been generated by that venture annually since it was authorized by the school board in 2002. The Foundation was formed to bring in money from the community in support of the school. When founded, it took over all existing scholarship programs, was housed at the HS, and had the staff salary and office costs assumed by the school, with the goal of expanding programs available for students and teachers.

It seems to me we should be able to demonstrate success in fundraising before assuming costs in the same arena at the taxpayers' expense on more of the same.

There were two parts to my request, how much did the NASD spend in in-kind contributions toward the Blue Eagle Foundation (salary, benefits, medical, utilities, office rent, materials, etc) and how much in new contributions have been received (in addition to those transferred and already received) since the foundation was formed.

I thought I was simply ignored having sent my request on July 17, but it turns out (as I searched my email tonight) that I got a message on July 21 (assumably in my junk mail) indicating the mailbox for the Foundation was full and thereby my message bounced.

If anyone from the Foundation or School District could contact me and provide the information I requested above it would be would be greatly appreciated!

No comments: