Monday, December 31, 2007

Remembering Evelyn

Evelyn Huth passed away yesterday, Sunday, December 30, 2007. She was 82.

She had recently been admitted to Visiting Nurses Association Hospice at St. Luke's Hospital due to a combination of illnesses, but was able to enjoy Christmas Eve Candlelight Service at the Moravian Church in Nazareth. Her son forwarded a note on the 26th from her that read in part:
I had a very nice Christmas. I was able to make it to church on Christmas Eve, and spend quality time with my family including Christmas dinner at Roger's.
I was glad that she was able to have gone to this service and enjoy the holiday, and I feel fortunate that my email was included in her address book allowing me to receive this warm holiday message. I was saddened to learn shortly thereafter of her passing.

There are any number of ways you may known Evelyn, and I'm quite sure if you knew her, she's had a positive impact on you. To say that Evelyn served the community would be an understatement. A list of her numerous contributions are available in her obituary (the Morning Call or The Express-Times). And it is not so much how many activities and pursuits she engaged, but the positive benefits that followed from them and the benefits that continue to flow from them.

She took great pride in the town and community of Nazareth. Over the past two years at Council meetings, she demonstrated tremendous institutional knowledge, but what struck me more was her ability to do and say the right thing, the right way and to call out if something wasn't being done the right way. She had the courage to point these things out and she did so the right way herself.

By doing so, she was very much the public conscience.

She was a tremendous role model.

And Evelyn will be very much missed by many, many people.

No comments: