Thursday, October 02, 2008

Mother and Daughter Run for Leukemia's Team in Training

The Morning Call has a nice article on a mother and daughter from Nazareth, Lynn and Devin O'Connor, who are running for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training (read the article here). Sean O'Connor, Lynn's husband and Devin's father, died of Leukemia a little more than fifteen years ago.

There are four pre-teens that I am aware of in our community right now with a form of Leukemia. I know there have already been some events for them and more will be planned I'm sure.

Personally, I didn't know much about this disease until last May when a close friend revealed she'd been diagnosed. Eventually she went through chemo and a bone-marrow transplant, not to mention many months at MD Anderson in Houston, TX. From what I've seen and heard, I can say that there are many different types of Leukemia and treatments have gotten much better in recent years. I'm also happy to report that as bad as my friend's situation seemed to be at times she will soon celebrate one year cancer free.

I know not everyone can support every cause every time they are asked, there are unfortunately too many to do so, but seeing how people rise up to and overcome either the disease or the loss of a loved one to the disease is awe-inspiring.

For Lynn and Devin, good luck and God bless, and to the others who are currently fighting this disease know the prayers and support of many are with you.

No comments: