Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3) The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown<br/><br/>

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'd read both the Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons by Dan Brown and enjoyed them both, but liked Angels & Demons better.  The Lost Symbol I did not enjoy, and in fact had to force myself to finish it.

To begin, the book was about twice the length of either of the first two books in the series.  In itself, not a bad thing, except in this case the additional words didn't contribute to the story.  This was particularly true in the first half where much of the extra wording came in the way of Brown's revealing research through Langdon.  This slowed the pace and made the reader work to get into the story, which was the complete opposite of the earlier books.

Another major issue I had would lead to a spoiler, so I'll only say that one plot surprise was a lie by the author to the reader.  I say a lie because it was stated as a fact, repeated several times, and then reversed without explanation.

Finally, the ending didn't work well for me.  I like a nice tight, clean conclusion with a "wow" factor in the revelation, and I didn't get it.

I was bummed out having waited so long to finally get to read this book and being so disappointed by it.

View all my reviews >>

Posted via email from Ross Nunamaker

1 comment:

SueBDynamo said...

I 'read' the DaVinci Code on audiobook. I still laugh at the thought of the male actor saying "But Vy?" over and over again in a female voice. What a transparent plot device that chick was.