Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Perfect Time for Nazareth Days

One person's remarks resonated with me more than anyone else's (including my own) at Monday's rally, public comment period, and business meeting, and those were of Tim Harper.

Mr. Harper, whom I've not yet met, spoke from the heart about what a great town we have, how it is small, but great none-the-less. He implored the Council to consider the fabric of the community and how this issue was already tearing at it. He cautioned that damage to the fabric of the community, the people who hold it together and work together to make it better, is not easy to fix.

Healing damage to the very core and heart of a community, its people and their connection to one another, will take not weeks or months, but decades and generations.

Mr. Harper's warning was well worth hearing and I hope everyone else listened as well.

Prior to this debate I was impressed with the interaction of the public and Council at the meetings. In May, the early days of my posting on this site, I wrote a piece titled "Community Commentary" (read the post here). It speaks to what I want out of this site and in my community. I'd encourage you to revisit it soon.

I mention this post because the difference from then until now in the interaction between the public and council and council to one another supports Mr. Harper's position that the fabric is now beginning to show signs of tearing.

It's visible. It's out there. So let's resolve to put a stop to it. I'd encourage everyone to get out to the Sidewalk Sales this week, enjoy the Block Party, go to the Craft Show, visit the Park, and enjoy the fireworks. Let's celebrate everything that's good and focus our efforts and minds to positively resolving this problem together, not seperated, between now and the August 3rd workshop.

How can this be done? It won't be easy, but I think a good solution can still be found. At heart we have well-intentioned people with differing opinions who now have walls of defense surrounding them. We need to get everyone together and a fresh slate to have an open discusison.

I'll post some ideas next week, until then use Nazareth Days to lower the defenses and serve as a reminder of how good this community and its people are.

If you have ideas of how this can happen, post them here, I'd love to include them in next week's posts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ross,
I wish you would have a way for a reader to email a particular post to friend. I would be interested in doing so.

RossRN said...

Thanks for the suggestion.

You can now email individual posts by clicking on the envelope found next to the comments line.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ross, I've already used it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder.
We all must remember why we are doing this...to protect the things that make Nazareth special. There are the tangible things like parks and historic buildings, and then the untangible things such as community spirit and kind, friendly neighbors. It is easy to get swept up in the moment, but without civility and decency towards our fellow citizens, we are just another "suburban sprawl".

Bernie O'Hare said...

It disturbs me to open The Morning Call to learn that some among us are being accused of "slashing" the tires of borough officials. The first incident occurred before the municipal expansion was widely known. The second incident may have been a nail. And the third incident is the result of kids in Lower Nazareth, according to the victim. Yet cops are saying the incidents are connected, Councilman Davis starts talking about the "dark side," and we are portrayed bably in the press. I believe we need to treat council with respect, but they need to treat us with respect instead of demonizing us.