Tuesday, September 05, 2006

On Walking in Town

I've noted several times that I often walk to places in town with my family, particularly to Main Street, the Library, and school.

This morning at the intersection of Belvidere and Liberty that leads to Shafer Elementary a little after eight o'clock my daughter and I were waived through by the crossing guard. The crossing guard stood in the middle of the intersection with the stop sign held up facing traffic on Belvidere. As we crossed and exchanged pleasantries a car traveling east on Belvidere made a left turn onto E. Liberty. Fortunately there was no one in the two crosswalks the car crossed to make the turn.

Unfortunately, this is not the first time I've seen someone drive through the intersection with the crossing guard stopping traffic to allow individuals to cross.

Throughout the year, but especially from September through mid-June it is critical that drivers be aware of students and their parents walking in the morning, mid-day, and early afternoon.

I thought the addition during the 4th of July celebration of cones in the circle stating that drivers must yield to pedestrians, state law, were great and I'd love to see an emphasis on pedestrian safety in the community.

The intersection of E. Center and New Street at the Library is probably the most dangerous in the borough that I've encountered. Crossing E. Walnut from any point east of New is also a challenge.

With the new development along Franklin, it would seem some traffic control at Franklin and E. Walnut would be warranted. A three-way stop with newly painted cross-walks would be a good first effort. I don't know if anything can be done at the intersection of Victory Lane, E. Liberty, and E. Walnut, but given some of the maneuvers made by drivers in this area each morning it is remarkable there haven't been more accidents.

Pedestrian traffic in a community is critical to its vibrancy. It is also good for the health of the individual's walking, and it serves as an informal block watch.

I'd be interested in learning what intersections you find to be particularly challenging to cross and what measures you think can be taken to make Nazareth more pedestrian friendly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, the traffic in our great town of Nazareth is horrifying. We live on the west side of Broad st at Prospect with 4 school age kids. Having the kids to cross Broad St, even with the crossing guards, scares the heck out of us. I don’t see this traffic situation getting any better without action from us citizens and borough leaders. I think we need to reduce the speed limits, and install more Walk\Don’t Walk signals. I also think we need closer monitoring of traffic.

Thanks for bring this issue up.
Joe B

Bernie O'Hare said...

Very good post, Ross! I've already been hit by a car on Main Street (although I was not injured). The driver never stopped and never saw me. I was crossing and at the crosswalk on Belvidere in Main.

At least once every month, I'm forced to run when some vehicle in the circle decides it doesn't have to yield to pedestrians.

The traffic along Main Street, which is much narrower than Broad, is just as fast.